Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I don’t know how…

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No I worked harder than all of them- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.” 1 Cor 15:10


I have finished two years of my postgraduate studies, a full time program and I thought just before I step into the working world, I would take some time to share how God has been, for the lack of a better word, so kind towards me this past two years.


In brief, the masters program was a tough program. I have only now vague memories of how tough it was because I don’t have a very good memory of past events in my life haha. Nevertheless, I can remember from Day 1 we had plenty of work, reading, assignments to do. Often I hear my classmates complaining and being all stressed out with the amount of work required of us- moaning, groaning, asking for less work from the lecturers. But I clearly don’t remember doing so. I also don’t know why. I think it was because of a mindset drilled into my mind about,


“Do everything without complaining and arguing…” Philppians 2:14.


I remember my mother always telling me not to complain and just challenges in life as life’s way of building my character. Facing hard work and challenges with the right attitudes produces joy and peace. A lot of my friends comment that they never seen me stress about work or complaining. Not that I have anything to boast, but that I suppose mom’s advice is always right.


In the program, time is all you’ve got. Majority of my friends would spend days and nights working on assignments, studying, they don’t sleep, forgo their leisure just to complete their work. Everyone was busy trying to perform well in class. I also don’t know why, but I found myself having enough time on my hands to do a lot of things: from politics to campus ministry to teens to having enough sleep and leisure. My friends always wonder how come I am still so active in this and that. I also don’t know how that happened.


I remember vaguely that I worked hard in school. I got quite a bit of As and when I got the Bs, I took it as God’s way to keep me humble hehe. But I also had time to spend on editing my classmates’ grammar, checking their assignment, doing extra group work to lighten other people’s work, helping them with their assignments. Where did all those time on my hands come from? Must have been God, because he said,


“ There is time for everything…” Ecc 3:1


When I entered the program, I purposed that I will not be selfish with my knowledge, my time and I will always attempt to help others in need. When I do that, I trust that God will handle the rest of my needs and he has. He has been so faithful to see me through. Now looking back, I don’t think I did anything extraordinary. I don’t think it’s my brain (it will get an average score on the intelligence test, trust me) or my own effort. Maybe some good time management skills and being able to work fast, but I think that only accounted for 30% of the job. I actually believe it was really God’s favor and kindness.


He was very kind to allow me to have a good father who took care of household stuff i.e. cooking especially so I could do my work, there wasn’t so much stress in the home as my father was supportive of my going in and out for ministry and all.


He was also very kind to have supportive leaders and pastors to guide, cheer and help me out with my life. So thank you very much.


It’s it soon the next chapter of my life as a working adult, lecturing in academia. The principles remain the same: do everything without complaining or arguing, consider others first and there is time for everything!


Last but not least, like Paul says though he may have worked harder than the rest, yet not him, but the grace of God that was with him. I am no where near Paul’s position, I don’t know how, but where I am, God’s grace WAS and is with me. Thank goodness!


May you be encouraged in where you are serving God as a student, working adult, pastoral staff, stay home mom etc. God’s grace is with you.


Jocelyn Tan, March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment